General James Johnston Pettigrew
Chartered December 11, 1896
On April 14, 1896, twenty one ladies met in the parlors of the Yarborough House and organized the “Raleigh Chapter Daughters of the Confederacy.”
Fifty members were required to get a charter. At an adjourned meeting the next day it was decided to admit children as members, but they were to have no vote until they became eighteen years of age.
One year later there was a called meeting to present the charter to Raleigh Chapter 95 of The United Daughters of the Confederacy.
In January 1899 at a called meeting the name was changed to “Johnston Pettigrew Chapter, Daughters of the Confederacy” as the name under which all work shall be recorded.
In 1928 the North Carolina Division undertook the restoration of the grave and monument of General James Johnston Pettigrew, Mrs. Alfred Williams, then president of the chapter was appointed chairman of this committee. It was through the efforts of Mrs. Williams that the beautiful House of Memory at the Confederate Cemetery was erected. Mrs. R.L. McMillan, while president of this chapter, was the moving spirit in restoring and beautifying the Confederate Cemetery and securing markers for graves of Confederate Soldiers that were unmarked.
For its entire history the Johnston Pettigrew Chapter has strived to promote our Southern Heritage and honor our brave North Carolina sons.
Excerpts from Chapter Histories, North Carolina Division, United Daughters of the Confederacy 1897-1947
Compiled by Mrs. Edwin R. MacKethan, Historian, 1946